The second session of the WebJunction/Learning Round Table hosted online conference, Trends in Library Training and Learning inspired the over 600 people in attendance! Thank you to Marianne Lennox for her inspiring presentation, Happiness Through Personal Learning. She provided achievable steps to both personal and professional happiness or as one attendee said everything “from scientific explanation to practical use.”
Marianne talked about happiness (also known as subjective well being) as a perfect followup to Jay’s presentation on the brain. A few bits that jumped out for me:
- As humans our amazing ability to learn has kept us at the top of the food chain
- They now know there actually is a happiness gene = 5 HTT
- We can survive without happiness, but it makes us good and worthwhile
- “technically the glass is always full” – whether it be air or water
And then she moved into talking about how to develop and practice a PLE (Personal Learning Environment). She noted that PLE is a verb not a noun! There are as many ways to set up a PLE as there are learners, and she talked about the VARK learning approaches:
Learning Styles (VARK)
- OR Multi-modal
Marianne shared her own PLE including her use of Google Reader. You must watch the archive for this…loads of new details I’ve never used!
She sent us off with 3 tasks:
- Empower yourself to learn for your own well-being and happiness.
- Create a Personal Learning Environment using ADDIE, highlighting your own unique learning style.
- Reward yourself to achieve the conditioned response: train your brain to learn.
And finally, remember to use the little things that make you happy (food, music etc.) to help reinvigorate your brain to be excited about learning. And as she said, you can be a lurker but you have to listen!
Her archive will be updated here…a must see! http://www.webjunction.org/trends-training-learning/-/articles/content/122111802